Being thankful always is not the easiest thing to do, especially when things are not going according to our desires. It is difficult to stay positive or be grateful in the “dark times” in our lives. To be thankful during times of sickness, death, rejection, failure, etc. can seem impossible. However, truth be told there is always something to be grateful for even during those trials of life.
Unfortunately, sometimes we also struggle are not thankful when we have that which we desire. This is because our society’s culture is that of consumerism. It teaches us to find fault with what we have so that we can get a newer model with the latest improvements. Which leaves us constantly discontent and unhappy, not being able to recognize that there so many things to be grateful for even when we do not see it.
Having an attitude of gratitude even in times of despair can be very beneficial to our entire being. Sometimes it is embracing a grateful spirit that will empower us to get through difficult moments. So how do we possess gratitude during difficult times? How to we remain grateful in the in-betweens of life?
- Be Intentional. Being thankful is not going happen arbitrarily. It is something that we are going to have to do on purpose. Especially on days when the sky is falling, and we want to complain about everything we have to purposefully display an attitude of gratitude. So in these moments, we have to intentionally count our blessings.
- Be Humble. When we are clothed with the spirit of humility, then we will be able to to be thankful for what we already possess. Sometimes because our vision is not aligned right, we tend to focus on what we do not have instead of the things we already have.
- Serve. When we learn to serve others instead of being served, we will discover the true joy. Serving others will also take our minds off our own issues as sometimes we will see that there are others who are more in need.
- Huddle. When we get together with others (family and friends), it strengthens us. It gives us a better view of the picture and helps us to recognize that we are not alone. Often why we become unthankful is because our peripheral view only consists of ourselves. We think we are the only ones going through what we are facing and that we have to bear the burden alone. However, we need to remember that no man is an island. We need each other, so spend time with family and friends.
- Break the mold. Find ways of doing things differently. When we get stuck in the same routine, our lives can seem mundane and that there is nothing to be thankful for. Breaking the mold will cause us to step out of our comfort zone and discover new things, people, and culture that can be very pleasing.
When we practice these things we will recognize that the in-betweens are not as bad as it seems. Additionally, we will understand that we are operating in a controlled environment. Remember the word of God admonishes us that we should be thankful in everything for it is the will of God as it pertains to our lives. Happiness may not cause us to be thankful but being thankful will make us happy.